Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

GSAC Digest Archive

Main content start

GSAC Digest November 2021-January 2022 

Hi everyone, 

 

Welcome to this edition of the GSAC monthly digest! Since the last two months did not have any digests, this one will cover November through January. Check out below what we’ve been up to since our last update. As always, please do feel free to reach out to any of your GSAC representatives if there’s anything you need or if you have any questions.  

 

Best, 

Laurel Régibeau-Rockett (GSAC communications liaison) 

 

Highlights 

  • SE3 students have put together this form to gauge how students feel about various potential sustainability efforts that could be worked into the New School. Responses will be used to gather data to share with the Dean’s office and discuss policies for the New School.  Note that participation is anonymous.

Coming Up 

  • Your GSAC representatives will meet with the SE3 Dean’s office on Friday, February 25, 1:30pm-3pm PST. Here, we will raise student concerns with the Dean. If you want to follow the town hall live, you can do so by following a live-tweeting on GSAC’s twitter. We will also send out notes afterwards.  
  • In line with this, keep an eye out for emails from your departmental GSAC representatives for departmental town halls, which will be hosted beforehand to gather student concerns.  

Announcements 

  • SE3 students have put together this form to gauge how students feel about various potential sustainability efforts that could be worked into the New School. Responses will be used to gather data to share with the Dean’s office and discuss policies for the New School.  Note that participation is anonymous.
  • GSAC has added a reporting page to its website. If you have any feedback on this or other parts of the website, please feel free to let me know or submit a response to our anonymous feedback form.

Links 

 

Inbox selected

GSAC Digest October 2021 

Hi everyone, 

 

Welcome to this edition of the GSAC monthly digest! Check out below what we’ve been up to since our last update. As always, please do feel free to reach out to any of your GSAC representatives if there’s anything you need or if you have any questions.  

 

Best, 

Laurel Régibeau-Rockett (GSAC communications liaison) 

 

Highlights 

Coming Up 

  • Your GSAC representatives will meet with the SE3 Dean’s office on Tuesday, November 16, 11:30am-1pm PST. Here, we will raise student concerns with the Dean. If you want to follow the town hall live, you can do so by following a live-tweeting on GSAC’s twitter. We will also send out notes afterwards.  
  • GSAC will continue to update its website with information that we hope will be useful to the student community. Our next priority is a page on various reporting resources. Keep an eye out for future updates on this! 

Announcements 

  • Your GSAC representatives will meet with the SE3 Dean’s office on Tuesday, November 16, at 11:30am PST. Here, we will raise student concerns with the Dean. If you want to follow the town hall live, you can do so by following a live-tweeting on GSAC’s twitter. We will also send out notes afterwards.  
  • In order to increase transparency about Stanford’s Emergency Grant In Aid process, the Stanford Solidarity Network has put together this form asking for feedback about which requests will or won’t be accepted.  

Links 

 

GSAC Digest September 2021 

Hi everyone, 

 

Welcome to this edition of the GSAC monthly digest! Check out below what we’ve been up to since our last update. As always, please do feel free to reach out to any of your GSAC representatives if there’s anything you need or if you have any questions.  

 

Best, 

Laurel Régibeau-Rockett (GSAC communications liaison) 

 

Highlights 

  • GSAC has elected its new officers for this academic year! These are: 
    • GSAC chair: Rosie Ries (Geophysics) 
    • GSAC Secretary: Laura Blackstone (Geophysics) 
    • GSAC DEI Liaison: William Scott (E-IPER) 
    • GSAC Communications Liaison: Laurel Régibeau-Rockett (Earth Systems Science) 
  • GSAC has added a people page to its website! If there is anything that you would like to know about that is not included on our website, please let us know and we can try and include it! You can do this by emailing me or via our anonymous feedback form

Coming Up 

  • GSAC will continue to update its website with information that we hope will be useful to the student community. Our next priorities are a page with information specifically geared towards international students, and an archive of all previous GSAC digests. Keep an eye out for future updates on this! 

Announcements 

  • GSAC representatives are working together with SE3 students to suggest modifications to the SE3 travel policy. Specifically, we are currently working on modifications to the types of travel that are reimbursable such that these include trains as an option of transport for long journeys (rather than just including air travel). If you would like to help with this, please contact me or Marius (vonessen@stanford.edu
  • In order to increase transparency about Stanford’s Emergency Grant In Aid process, the Stanford Solidarity Network has put together this form asking for feedback about which requests will or won’t be accepted.  

 

Links 

GSAC Digest August 2021 

Hi everyone, 

 

Welcome to this edition of the GSAC monthly digest! Check out below what we’ve been up to since our last update. As always, please do feel free to reach out to any of your GSAC representatives if there’s anything you need or if you have any questions.  

We at GSAC would also like to take the time to express our absolute condemnation of the recent extremely racist Instagram posts made from the account of a Stanford student on August 28th. The same student has a history of Islamophobic actions and has continued to make several horrendous posts since the 28th. These views, and those who express them, have absolutely no place in our community and the responsible student should be held accountable immediately. We would also like to express our deepest sympathies for those affected by the passage of Hurricane Ida and by the ongoing situation in Afghanistan. I have included links to support resources at the end of this email for anyone who may need them.  

 

Best, 

Laurel Régibeau-Rockett (she/her) (GSAC communications liaison) 

 

Highlights 

  • petition (trigger warning for the description on the petition), started by a group of Black students, calls on Stanford to hold the student responsible for the posts accountable for their actions.
  • For new students: GSAC has added an orientation page to its website! Among other things, this includes information that we believe it is important to know about before your arrival on campus, important topics to discuss with your advisor, and more. If there is anything that you would like to know about that is not included on the page, please let us know and we can try and include it! You can do this by emailing me or via our anonymous feedback form

Coming Up 

  • GSAC will continue to update its website with information that we hope will be useful to the student community. Our next priorities are a people page and information specifically geared towards supporting international students. Keep an eye out for future updates on this! 

Announcements 

  • GSAC representatives are working together with SE3 students to suggest modifications to the SE3 travel policy. Specifically, we are currently working on modifications to the types of travel that are reimbursable such that these include trains as an option of transport for long journeys (rather than just including air travel). If you would like to help with this, please contact me or Marius (vonessen@stanford.edu
  • In order to increase transparency about Stanford’s Emergency Grant In Aid process, the Stanford Solidarity Network has put together this form asking for feedback about which requests will or won’t be accepted.  

Links 

GSAC Digest June/July 2021 

Hi everyone, 

 

Welcome to this edition of the GSAC monthly digest! I hope you’re all having a good summer. Check out below what we’ve been up to since our last update. As always, please do feel free to reach out to any of your GSAC representatives if there’s anything you need or if you have any questions. 

 

Best, 

Laurel Régibeau-Rockett (GSAC communications liaison) 

 

Highlights 

  • GSAC representatives are working together with SE3 students to suggest modifications to the SE3/Stanford travel policy. Specifically, we are currently working on modifications to the types of travel that are reimbursable, such that these include trains as an option of transport for long journeys (rather than just including air travel), in the interest of encouraging more sustainable travel. If you would like to help with this, please contact me or Marius (vonessen@stanford.edu

Coming Up 

  • GSAC is revamping its website to make it more useful to students. We are currently working on adding a series of resources for incoming students. Keep an eye out for updates on this! 


  •  

Announcements 

  • GSAC representatives are working together with SE3 students to suggest modifications to the SE3/Stanford travel policy. Specifically we are currently working on modifications to the types of travel that are reimbursable, such that these include trains as an option of transport for long journeys (rather than just including air travel), in the interest of encouraging more sustainable travel. If you would like to help with this, please contact me or Marius (vonessen@stanford.edu
  • For ESS graduate students: your GSAC representatives plan to draft addendums to the annual review. If you would like to be part of the drafting process, please contact me, Marius (vonessen@stanford.edu), or Alysha (alysha.lee@stanford.edu). 

 

Links

GSAC Digest May 2021 

Hi everyone, 

 

Welcome to this edition of the GSAC monthly digest! Check out below what we’ve been up to since our last update. As always, please do feel free to reach out to any of your GSAC representatives if there’s anything you need or if you have any questions. 

We at GSAC would also like to recognize the immense trauma and stress that many students among our community are experiencing as a result of the recent conflict between Israel and Palestine, and express our most heartfelt condolences for the lives lost in the process. As always, we are here to support you if you feel this would be helpful. I have also included several support resources at the end of this email.  

 

Best, 

Laurel Régibeau-Rockett (GSAC communications liaison) 

 

Highlights 

 

  • GSAC representatives recently hosted a series of departmental town halls. Meeting notes from most of these are available here
  • Provost Persis Drell recently released a DEI survey (closing at 5pm today). The results of this survey will be released in the fall (see the survey link for confidentiality details) and will be used to inform future initiatives at Stanford. The survey is open to all in the Stanford community. 


  •  

Coming Up 

  • GSAC representatives will meet with the SE3 Dean’s office on Thursday 6/3 at 9am. You can view live updates from the town hall on GSAC's new twitter account. 
  • GSAC is revamping its website to make it more useful to students. We plan to include, among other things, an archive of GSAC digest emails and town hall notes, and a series of resources on what people assume you know as an entering graduate student. Keep an eye out for updates on this! 


  •  

Announcements 

  • The SE3 Dean’s office has released a 3-year DEI action plan. You can give feedback on it here.   
  • For ESS graduate students: your GSAC representatives plan to draft addendums to the annual review. If you would like to be part of the drafting process, please contact me, Marius (vonessen@stanford.edu), or Alysha (alysha.lee@stanford.edu). 
  • For the most recent information about issues you are concerned about, check out Grad Updates as a first step. 
  • In order to increase transparency about Stanford’s Emergency Grant In Aid process, the Stanford Solidarity Network has put together this form asking for feedback about which requests will or won’t be accepted.  
  • If you have any suggestions for us on how we might best support you, you can always feel free to reach out to any GSAC representative, or by replying to this email. However, if you do not feel comfortable doing so, we have additionally created this anonymous feedback form 

Links 

Some support resources: 

Confidential Support Team

Bridge Peer Counselling Center

Counselling and Psychological Services

Bechtel International Center

Steps to find an off-campus mental health care provider

 

DEI survey: 

DEI survey website

GSAC Digest March and April 2021 

Hi everyone, 

 

Welcome to this edition of the GSAC monthly digest! Because I missed sending one out last month, this digest will cover both March and April :) Check out below what we’ve been up to since our last update. As always, please do feel free to reach out to any of your GSAC representatives if there’s anything you need or if you have any questions. Happy Spring! 🌺

 

Best, 

Laurel Régibeau-Rockett (GSAC communications liaison) 

 

Highlights 

  • In light of the recent decision by Stanford's committee on AAAS departmentalization that Stanford should proceed with departmentalizing AAAS, students of SE3 have collectively written a letter to congratulate the new AAAS department and highlight its importance both as part of a just university and to our research. You can add your name to the letter here. 
  • GSAC representatives met with the SE3 Dean’s office, on March 16th, to discuss our initiatives and to raise student concerns. You can view the meeting notes here
  • If you have any suggestions for us on how we might best support you, you can always feel free to reach out to any GSAC representative, or by replying to this email. However, if you do not feel comfortable doing so, we have additionally created this anonymous feedback form

Coming Up 

  • All SE3 departments will host GSAC town halls to hear student concerns within the next 2-3 weeks (by May 21st). Keep an eye out for more information about your specific department’s town hall if you have not already received this.  

Announcements 

  • The SE3 Dean’s office has released a 3-year DEI action plan. You can view this here, and give feedback on it here.  
  • For ESS graduate students: your GSAC representatives plan to draft addendums to the annual review. If you would like to be part of the drafting process, please contact me, Marius (vonessen@stanford.edu), or Alysha (alysha.lee@stanford.edu). 
  • For the most recent information about issues you are concerned about, check out Grad Updates as a first step. 
  • In order to increase transparency about Stanford’s Emergency Grant In Aid process, the Stanford Solidarity Network has put together this form asking for feedback about which requests will or won’t be accepted.  

GSAC Digest February 2021 

Hi everyone, 

 

Happy March! Welcome to this edition of the GSAC monthly digest :) Check out below what we’ve been up to since our last update. As always, please do feel free to reach out to any of your GSAC representatives if there’s anything you need or if you have any questions. Also, if you would like me to include an announcement in a future digest, let me know!

 

Best, 

Laurel Régibeau-Rockett (GSAC communications liaison) 

 

Highlights 

  • The IDEAL Impact of Race Cluster Hire in stem fields was recently launched by Stanford. The job announcement is attached at the bottom of this email. Please send any suggestions or formal nominations for these positions to the search committee (stem_cluster_hire@stanford.edu). 
  • If you have any suggestions for us on how we might best support you, you can always feel free to reach out to any GSAC representative, or by replying to this email. However, if you do not feel comfortable doing so, we have additionally created this  anonymous feedback form 

Coming Up 

  • GSAC representatives will soon meet with the SE3 Dean’s office, on March 16th, to discuss our initiatives and to raise student concerns. If you have something that you would like us to discuss at this meeting, please let a GSAC representative know! 
  • GSAC is planning a “food week”, on the week of March 29th, featuring a cook-along with our GSAC co-chair Dara and food-themed trivia! 

Announcements 

  • The IDEAL Impact of Race Cluster Hire in stem fields was recently launched by Stanford. The job announcement is attached at the bottom of this email. Please send any suggestions or formal nominations for these positions to the search committee (stem_cluster_hire@stanford.edu). 
  • In light of the recent decision by Stanford's committee on AAAS departmentalization that Stanford should proceed with departmentalizing AAAS, students of SE3 plan to collectively write a letter in solidarity with the new AAAS department, advocating for its full funding and academic autonomy. Please contact Hanon McShea (mcshea@stanford.edu) if you would like to contribute to this. 
  • For ESS graduate students: your GSAC representatives want to hear what you think of the annual review form! Please let us know here how you think it could be improved. We would also like to invite any interested students to collaborate with us on drafting possible addendums to the annual review. If you are interested, please reach out to Marius (vonessen@stanford.edu), Alysha (alysha.lee@stanford.edu), or me (regirock@stanford.edu). 
  • For ESS graduate students: your GSAC representatives are considering setting up a faculty mentorship program for graduate students. In this program, graduate students would be paired with ESS faculty mentors who are not their advisors and are not on their academic committee. For more details on this program, and to voice your thoughts to us on this, see here.
  • For the most recent information about issues you are concerned about, check out Grad Updates as a first step. 
  • In order to increase transparency about Stanford’s Emergency Grant In Aid process, the Stanford Solidarity Network has put together this form asking for feedback about which requests will or won’t be accepted.  

 

 

 

Sent on behalf of James Landay, PhD and Carla Pugh, MD, PhD 

Search Committee Co-Chairs for the IDEAL Impact of Race Cluster Hire (STEM Fields) Search 

                                                                                                                                                                                        

  

Stanford seeks to hire at least four tenure-line faculty who study the impact of race in STEM fields. This includes research and development in broad areas such as medicine, engineering, computer science, sustainability, and environmental justice, including the development of methods and technologies that reduce bias and harm. We seek to support, deepen, and enhance the important research and teaching in these areas to strengthen our existing programs and develop new impactful programs. Appointments will be made in the following schools: School of Engineering, School of Humanities and Sciences, School of Earth, Energy & Environmental Sciences, School of Medicine, and other relevant STEM departments and units.   

  

Although there is the expectation that emphasis will be given to appointments at the assistant professor level, other career stages will be considered. We are particularly interested in candidates with outstanding records of achievement in developing or implementing innovative approaches or technologies in the broad areas of their discipline. The teaching and research expectations associated with these positions will vary accordingly across schools and departments. 

Review of applications will begin on February 1, 2021 and will continue until all of the positions are filled. Candidates are invited to apply by emailing a one-page cover letter describing their academic background to: stem_cluster_hire@stanford.edu. Please also include the following items: curriculum vitae, research statement (3 pages max), diversity statement that describes the applicant’s commitment, including past experience and future plans, to contribute to diversity, equity, and inclusion (1 page max), teaching statement (2 pages max), and the names of three recommenders. Please direct questions to: stem_cluster_hire@stanford.edu

Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. The University values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community, and welcomes applications from all who would bring additional dimensions, perspectives, and experiences to the University’s research, teaching, outreach, and clinical activities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.  

  

  

James Landay, PhD and Carla Pugh, MD, PhD 

Search Committee Co-Chairs for the IDEAL Impact of Race Cluster Hire (STEM Fields) Search 

Stanford University 

GSAC Digest January 2021 

Hi everyone, 

 

Welcome to this edition of the GSAC monthly digest, the first of the new year! Check out below what we’ve been up to since our last update. As always, please do feel free to reach out to any of your GSAC representatives if there’s anything you need or if you have any questions. 

 

Best, 

Laurel Régibeau-Rockett (GSAC communications liaison) 

 

Highlights 

  • ESS GSAC reps submitted an addendum to the ESS annual review form, which aims to track the ways in which COVID has impacted student research. This addendum has been shared more widely and has been adopted by some other departments. It is not currently accepted at the SE3 level. You can view the addendum here.

 

  • If you have any suggestions for us on how we might best support you, you can always feel free to reach out to any GSAC representative, or by replying to this email. However, if you do not feel comfortable doing so, we have additionally created this anonymous feedback form 

Coming Up 

  • The Geoscience Department’s GSAC representatives plan to start hosting virtual movie and game nights! For this, they will be using a discord channel. If you’re a geoscience student, keep an eye out for more emails about this. 
  • GSAC is planning a “food week” this quarter! It will involve three food events, including the “Great GSAC Cookoff”! Keep an eye out for email with more information on this 😊 
  • The ESS Department’s GSAC representatives have begun a collaboration with the newly-formed Academic Affairs council. Initiatives that this collaboration plans to pursue include creating a formal expectations document to add to the annual review that clarifies what is expected of the student, and creating an opt-in faculty mentorship position, where faculty outside the thesis committee of a student can act as mentors. Pamela Matson, a member of the Academic Affairs Committee, will be present at GSAC’s next town hall to answer student questions. 

Announcements 

  • For ESS graduate students: your GSAC representatives want to hear what you think of the annual review form! Please let us know here how you think it could be improved. 
  • For the most recent information about issues you are concerned about, check out Grad Updates as a first step. 
  • In order to increase transparency about Stanford’s Emergency Grant In Aid process, the Stanford Solidarity Network has put together this form asking for feedback about which requests will or won’t be accepted.  

GSAC Digest December 2020 

Hi everyone, 

 

Welcome to this edition of the GSAC monthly digest! Have a look at the items below for some updates on what GSAC has been up to. I hope that you all enjoyed a well-deserved break. And happy belated new year- despite the events of last week, may 2021 bring better news for all of us. 

 

Best, 

Laurel Régibeau-Rockett (GSAC communications liaison) 

 

Highlights 

  • If you have any suggestions for us on how we might best support you, you can always feel free to reach out to any GSAC representative, or by replying to this email. However, if you do not feel comfortable doing so, we have additionally created this anonymous feedback form 
  • GSAC partnered with the Pertenecer/You Belong outreach program to run a “meet a scientist” AP class with a local school in Antioch on Thursday, January 7th. In total, 6 panelists signed up! More events like this should be upcoming. If you know an educator interested in hosting such an event, or if you would like to be a panelist at a future event, please let me know!  


     

Announcements 

  • For the most recent information about issues you are concerned about, check out Grad Updates as a first step. 
  • In order to increase transparency about Stanford’s Emergency Grant In Aid process, the Stanford Solidarity Network has put together this form asking for feedback about which requests will or won’t be accepted.  

GSAC Digest October/November 2020 

Hi everyone, 

 

Welcome to this edition of the GSAC monthly digest! Since the digest for October was not sent out, this one will cover both months 😊 Have a look at the items below for some updates on what GSAC has been up to. I hope the fall quarter went well for you all. As always, please do feel free to reach out to any of your GSAC representatives if there’s anything you need or if you have any questions. 

 

Best, 

Laurel Régibeau-Rockett (GSAC communications liaison) 

 

Highlights 

  • GSAC hosted a paint night in early November, which quickly filled up to capacity! We are hoping to host a similar event again at some point. 
  • If you have any suggestions for us on how we might best support you, you can always feel free to reach out to any GSAC representative, or by replying to this email. However, if you do not feel comfortable doing so, we have additionally created this  anonymous feedback form 

Coming Up 

  • GSAC has partnered with the Pertenecer/You Belong outreach program to run a “meet a scientist” AP class with a local Oakland school on the morning of Thursday, January 7th  (see the announcement by Margariete Malenda at the end of this email). Please contact Margariete if you would be interested in teaching at this event! 


  •  

Announcements 

  • The GSAC town hall happened on October 23rd. See the notes from the meeting here. 

  • Following the GSAC town hall, GSAC met with representatives from the SE3 Dean’s office, where we discussed issues from the town hall. View the meeting notes here. 

  • For the most recent information about issues you are concerned about, check out Grad Updates as a first step. 
  • In order to increase transparency about Stanford’s Emergency Grant In Aid process, the Stanford Solidarity Network has put together this form asking for feedback about which requests will or won’t be accepted.  

 

 

 

 

 

Hello!Pertenecer/You Belong and SE3 GSAC members will be hosting a (virtual) panel event for an AP Environmental Science at Antioch High School. 
We are looking for volunteers who:
1) will be available on the morning of January 7th for 1 hour
2) are interested in speaking with highschool students about what life is like as an earth science graduate student/ researcher. 


The class primarily focuses on earth and sustainable science.
We will meet with the panelists briefly (less than 30 minutes) to discuss what to expect for the event.If you are interested, please contact us at malenda@stanford.edu.
Please share with us your name and a plain-language sentence about your research/field of study with the audience of high school students in mind.Thank you,
Margariete and Joseph

 

GSAC Digest September 2020 

Hi everyone, 

 

Welcome to this month’s edition of the GSAC monthly digest! Check out the items below for some updates on what we at GSAC have been up to for the last month. I hope the start of the quarter is treating everyone okay, in spite of all that has happened this past month. For those of you that are new students, I hope that you are settling in well. This is a hard time during which to start graduate school, especially if you don’t know many people here. Please do let your GSAC representatives know if there’s anything we can do to ease the adjustment process, or with anything else. For those of you who are not new, the offer to reach out to us for any kind of help also stands. 

 

Wishing you all a happy fall. 

 

Best, 

Laurel Régibeau-Rockett (GSAC communications liaison) 

 

Highlights 

  • GSAC’s Fall Committee sent out welcome packages to SE3 first-year graduate students. We hope you enjoy them 😊 
  • GSAC also hosted several welcome events, including a student panel, a night of PowerPoint karaoke, and chats at a “water cooler” zoom room. We hope that those who attended have fun, and that we can see many of you at our paint night event in November! 
  • If you have any suggestions for us on how we might best support you, you can always feel free to reach out to any GSAC representative, or by replying to this email. However, if you do not feel comfortable doing so, we have additionally created this anonymous feedback form


  •  

Coming Up 

  • The GSAC town hall will be coming up this month- keep an eye out for an email about the date. This is also a great place to come if you want to voice your concerns to us. We hope to see you there! 
  • GSAC will host a paint night in November for anyone interested- paint supplies provided! Keep an eye out for the date 🖌 🎨 

Announcements 

 

  • Join or contribute to the Pertenecer/You Belong outreach program! See text below for details 😊 
  • The ESS GSAC team will soon be submitting a document to ESS faculty with recommended practices for an antiracist lab, with the intention that they will eventually be accepted as department policy. View the document here. We welcome any comments you may have on this. These may be submitted to me (regirock@stanford.edu), Alysha (alysha.lee@stanford.edu), or Marius (vonessen@stanford.edu), or through GSAC’s anonymous feedback form

  • For the most recent information about issues you are concerned about, check out Grad Updates as a first step. 
  • In order to increase transparency about Stanford’s Emergency Grant In Aid process, the Stanford Solidarity Network has put together this form asking for feedback about which requests will or won’t be accepted.  

     
     

    Join or Contribute to Pertenecer/You Belong Outreach Program! 

     

    We are a graduate-student led organization that introduces careers in the environment and academia to k-12 students. We provide insight to students on college and graduate school topics. We demonstrate what it means to be an earth scientist, and we show students that they belong at places like Stanford and Stanford Earth. In doing so, we have held 24 events (in person and virtually) and have worked with more than 2,000 participants. Our website can be accessed here

     

     

     

    The next event we are organizing will be a joint effort with GSAC. The event will be a graduate student-led outreach session of science demonstrations targeting a k-12 audience. If you are interested in filming or teaching (virtually) an easy, at-home science demonstration please contact us at malenda@stanford.edu. Alternatively, if you know of a k-12 teacher who would be interested in hosting demonstrations, please contact us. Thanks, and we hope to connect with you soon! 

GSAC Digest August 2020 

Hi everyone!  

Welcome to the GSAC monthly activity digest 😊 Check these emails out to stay informed about GSAC’s activities this coming year! These will generally start with some highlights of our activities, and some more detailed descriptions of initiatives or other events we are planning following these.  

To start, I’d like to extend a special welcome to our incoming students! We at GSAC are excited to get to know all of you. We understand that this is a particularly trying time during which to begin your graduate studies, so please do reach out to us if you have questions or if you need anything. 

In case you’re unaware of or have forgotten what GSAC is for, we are a liaison between SE3 graduate students and the Dean’s office, with representation from each department. We will use this platform to advocate and identify solutions for student concerns. Read more about GSAC here. Since this monthly digest is a new initiative, I welcome any and all comments from you on how I might better format these communications to the community. Also, if you’d like an initiative or announcement of yours included in these digests, please don't hesitate to reach out to me! Finally, feel free to reach out to me or any other GSAC representative about any concerns or questions you may have, or if you have feedback about our work. 

 

I hope everyone’s staying safe.  

 

Best, 

Laurel Régibeau-Rockett (GSAC communications liaison) 

 

Highlights 

  • GSAC elected new students to officer positions. These are as follows: 
  • In light of the recently released campus compact, GSAC has released an open letter to Stanford addressing concerns and a possible path forward. View the letter here.

Coming up 

  • The GSAC Town Hall will be held as usual this fall quarter. Keep an eye out for the date! 
  • For first-years: keep an eye out for these GSAC welcome events in September- a GSAC panel on graduate student life and a night of "powerpoint karaoke" 


  •  

Announcements 

  • For the most recent information about issues you are concerned about, check out Grad Updates as a first step.
  • To read the Stanford-wide petition on the campus compact, click here.
  • Pertenecer/You Belong @ Stanford Earth and GSAC are partnering to host a teaching event for high school students! We’re looking for about four volunteers to conduct a talk connected to their research (no more than 15 minutes), including a demo and an introductory section about themselves. The specific date for this event is to be determined. If you’re interested, please reach out to me! For more info on Pertenecer, see here.